Shade Motor Technology
Why Choose Motorized Shades from Insolroll?
Insolroll utilizes a wide selection of tubular motors that are mounted and hidden from view inside the roller tube. Tubular motors were invented in 1959 and have become the standard motorized operating systems for window treatments, awnings, rolling shutters, and projection screens throughout the world.
Insolroll offers motor options for every application:
- 110 V AC motors
- 24 V DC motors
- Somfy battery motors
- QMotion battery motors
Quiet Motorization Technology
- Insolroll Quiet Motors (IQM) for interior and exterior use, with the lifting capacity necessary for larger, heavier shades
- Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motors (IUQ) virtually eliminate motor and mechanical noise
- Insolroll’s Ultra Quiet spring-loaded idler further reduces mechanical noise
UL-Listed Complete Motorized Shade System
Most shades in the industry are made up of UL-Recognized components, and other parts that are not tested with the shade. “UL-Listed” status is the Underwriters’ Laboratories most rigorous safety standard and testing. To earn the UL-Listed mark, we upgraded a number of our motors and shade components to meet that higher standard. We sell the only shade that has met the Underwriters’ Laboratories “Listed” safety standard, and bears the UL-Listed mark.
- All parts of the shade system have been tested together to meet the standard
- UL-Listed mark shows inspectors and homeowners at a glance that all parts of the shade together meet the “Listed” standard
Original Somfy hard-wired directional motors provide durability and reliability
The original tubular motor design is still widely used today due reliability and cost advantages. These motors were designed with a brake system to eliminate shades from slipping, internal limit switches for setting the upper limit of shade when raised and lower limit when shades are down, and thermal overload system to prevent the motor from failing if they get too hot.
They required wired switch legs, relays to isolate each motor and 3 position switches.
Recommended for group control applications in new construction projects.
Battery Powered Motors
Where wiring is difficult or impossible, Insolroll offers 2 battery motor options.
QMotion Battery Motors
Battery and control technology inside the roller tube for a streamlined look and cordless convenience.
- Sizes up to 118″ wide by 120″ high
- Small light gaps of 1/2″ each side
- Easy-to-replace alkaline D-cell batteries
- Manual override operation when the remote isn’t in reach
- Gen 3 Radio Protocol Control
- Simple, one-way control switching
- Control individual shades or groups of shades
- ZigBee Radio Protocol Control
- Zigbee self-healing mesh network with 2-way feedback
- Native connection with Amazon Echo for voice control
- Native connection with Control 4 automation platform
Somfy Battery Motors
Somfy has been the world leader in shade motorization for almost 50 years, and offers versatile solutions for new or retrofit applications.
- Maximum width of 96″ at 72″
- Maximum height of 108″ at 84″
- Compatible with all Somfy radio controls
- Handheld remote
- Wall mounted switch
- Somfy myLink® App based control for smartphone or tablet
- 3rd party home automation system
Radio motor switching technology
Recent advances in motor and switching technology have led to the development of motors with built-in switching technology.
Radio motors are the most popular option due the ease of wiring a motorized project and the array of transmitter, switch, timers, and automatic controls available.
Intelligent motors with advanced control capability
- Allows for programming flexibility
- Seamless integration with 3rd party lighting and building automation controls
- 2-way feedback to advanced control systems
- Connected by a bus-line communication system.