Insolroll Quiet & Ultra Quiet Motorized Shade Systems
Quiet and even virtually silent motorized shade operation for quiet areas, convenience, and lifestyle.
- How Quiet is Quiet?
- Insolroll Quiet Motors
- Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motors
- Quiet Shade Hardware
- Sound and Lifestyle
How Quiet is Quiet?
Quiet Motorized Shade Technology
Solutions for every application, including existing or new construction.
Today’s quiet shade motors are significantly quieter than shade motors of the past. You used to have to trade convenience for noise, but increases in technology have made Insolroll Quiet motorized shades extremely quiet, and Ultra Quiet Shades virtually silent. But how quiet are they really? Making a simple comparison helps put it in perspective.
How quiet is quiet?
Quiet vs. Ultra Quiet
As Insolroll shade motorization has advanced, “quiet” has become the standard for most motors. Our new “Ultra Quiet” motors now offer a premium level of quiet operation for applications where virtual silence is needed or desired.
Insolroll Quiet Shade Motor Models
Insolroll Quiet Shade Motors operate between 42 dB and 49 dB, and include 4 types for the versatility necessary for all applications, with both new and existing construction. We now offer quiet battery motors for applications where wiring would be difficult or impossible, 4-wire directional motors, radio motors, and intelligent motors with digital control.
Insolroll Ultra Quiet Shade Motors
Insolroll Ultra Quiet Shade Motors operate at or below 38 dB. This includes 4-wire directional motors, radio motors, and intelligent motors with digital control.
Insolroll’s extra “layer” of quiet
Insolroll’s Quiet Motor System goes beyond simply quiet motors themselves. We’ve engineered our quiet roller shades with specialized quiet hardware components to decrease operational noise even further. Our Ultra Quiet motorized shades operate in virtual silence.
Insolroll Quiet Motorized Shade Technology
Available models with superior torque of up to 6 Nm allows quiet motors to be installed for almost any application on the market. Also available on coupled shades.
Insolroll Quiet Motors (IQM) are standard in hardwired Insolroll motorized Shades. IQM series motors operate in the range of 38 dB to ≤42 dB, which is approximately equivalent to a noise level between the hum of a refrigerator and the sound level of moderate rainfall.
Quiet Battery Motors
- BAT-L3: 3.0 Nm Somfy Radio Motor with embedded Li-ion rechargeable battery
- BAT-L2: 2.0 Nm Somfy Radio Motor with embedded Li-ion rechargeable battery, Minimum width 29 ¾”
- BAT-L1: 1.1 Nm Somfy Radio Motor with embedded Li-ion rechargeable battery, Minimum width 25 ¾”
- BAT-X1: 1.1 Nm Somfy Radio Motor with external battery pack, Minimum width 18″
Four-wire Directional Quiet Motors
- IQM-AC: Somfy 110V AC with Wired Switching/Control, Minimum width 29 ¼”
- IQM-AC2: Somfy 110V AC with Wired Switching/Control, Minimum width 22 1/4″
Radio Quiet Motors
- IQM-ACR: Somfy 110V AC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 31 ⅛”
- IQM-ACR2: Somfy 110V AC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 23 ⅞”
- IQM-DCR: Somfy 24V DC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 18 ⅜”
Intelligent Quiet Motors
- IQM-485 AC: Somfy 110V AC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 31 ⅛”
- IQM-485 DC: Somfy 24V DC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 18 ⅜”
Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motorized Shade Technology
For applications demanding motorized window shades that operate in virtual silence, Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motors incorporate the latest in noise reduction technology. Perfect for bedrooms, conference rooms, office, and hotels, Ultra Quiet shade motors operate at 38 dB or less. Using a decibel meter, it’s easy to see that operating an Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motorized Shade combined with the Ultra Quiet Idler adds nothing to the reading obtained measuring the ambient noise of the room.
- Patented helical gearbox for uniform sound quality in both up and down directions
- Improved spring brake to eliminate the noise of shade stopping
- Steel tube housing lowers the motor’s vibration level
- Shock-absorbing elastomer suspensions isolate the motor from the external tube reduce vibration transmission.
- Ultra Quiet Idler keeps shades even quieter
Ultra Quiet Four-wire Directional Motors
- IUQ-AC: Somfy 110V AC with Wired Switching/Control, Minimum width 36 ⅜”
Ultra Quiet Radio Motors
- IUQ-ACR: Somfy 110V AC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 37 ¼”
- IUQ-DCR: Somfy 24V DC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 34 ¾”
Ultra Quiet Intelligent Motors
- IUQ-485 AC: Somfy 110V AC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 34 ¾”
- IUQ-485 DC: Somfy 24V DC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 34 ¾”
Quiet Shade Hardware
Insolroll’s Ultra Quiet Idler further reduces mechanical noise, and produces a virtually silent motorized shade when used with Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motors.
- Smooth bearings
- Twist to adjust
Using a decibel meter, it’s easy to see that operating an Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motorized Shade combined with the Ultra Quiet Idler adds nothing to the reading obtained measuring the ambient noise of the room.
Motorized Shade Brackets
Exposed Roller Bracket
For exposed roller shades, decorative brackets for motor and idler sides of shades with matching bracket covers. Available in Black, White, and Silver/Grey.
For motorized shades with fascia system covering the roller. Available in White, Black, Bronze, Vanilla, and Grey.
Adjustable Shade Coupler Assembly
For joining multiple shades using a single motor.
Sound in everyday life
Loudness isn’t the same as sound intensity. According the CDC, “How loud something sounds to you is not the same as the actual intensity of that sound. Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy in a confined space.”*
When we think of loudness, we really mean the way that we perceive audible sounds, which is different than what the decibel scale measures. Generally speaking, a sound must be multiplied ten times in order to be perceived as twice as loud. A simple example: it would take 10 trumpets playing together to make a sound just twice as loud as a single trumpet.
Sound intensity is measured in decibels (dB). Because the decibel scale is logarithmic, it can be difficult to appreciate the real difference between one sound intensity and another. The reason the scale is logarithmic is that sound intensity grows very fast. A sound that measures 20 dB is actually 10 times more intense than another sound measuring at 10 dB. The intensity of a sound measuring 30 dB is actually 100 times more intense than a 10 dB sound.
An easy way to understand shade motor sound levels
As humans, we understand things best by making comparisons, and this is true of sound levels. Comparing the sound level of a shade motor operating to a sound we are familiar with is the easiest way to understand the sound level of that motor.
- 0 dB: the softest sound that can be heard
- 10 dB: the sound of normal breathing
- 20 dB: the sound of leaves rustling
- 30 dB: the sound of a soft whisper
- 38 dB: Insolroll IUQ Ultra Quiet motors, quiet raindrops
- 40 dB: quiet library
- 44–49 dB: Range of Insolroll IQ Quiet Motors and Battery Motors, quiet office
- 50 dB: Insolroll Driven by Lutron™ patio shade motors; Moderate rainfall (not a downpour)
- 55–65 dB: Normal conversation
- 70 dB: Vacuums
- 80 dB: Garbage disposal, blender
- 90 dB: Power mower, motorcycle at 25 feet
- 100 dB: Jackhammer, jet flyover at 1000 feet
- 120 dB: Chainsaw, thunderclap