Insolroll Cares About Window Shade Safety
The window covering industry will adopt a new safety standard on December 15, 2018. The new standard, ANSI/WCMA A100.1-2018 addresses and differentiates between both stock and custom window treatment products.
Insolroll is compliant with the new Child Safety Standard.
How is the new standard different than the previous one?
The biggest change is different performance standards for Custom Window Coverings and Stock Window Coverings.
Because incident data shows that requiring stock products to be cordless (or feature inaccessible cords) would have the most significant and immediate impact on reducing strangulation risk to young children. All stock products sold account for more than 80 percent of all window covering products sold in the U.S. and Canada.
Stock window treatments
A “Stock” product is defined as a product that is completely or substantially fabricated in advance of any specific consumer request.
The new standard requires that stock/ready-made window coverings and cut-down programs must be cordless or have inaccessible cords.
Corded window coverings will only be available on custom-order products, as corded products are still needed by a wide range of consumers, including:
- The elderly
- Those with disabilities
- Those with windows in hard-to-reach locations
How does the New Safety Standard impact CUSTOM Roller Shades from Insolroll?
The new standard has complex performance specifications and testing standards that must be met by manufacturers.
Insolroll products meet the safety standard
- INSOLROLL QSR SHADE cordless operating system
- INSOLROLL CLUTCH SHADE Continuous loop operating with Metal Select or Universal chain guide Cord Tension Device to restrain the chain
- INSOLROLL MOTORIZED SHADE cordless operating system
The new safety standard will only increase motorization of window coverings.
All window covering products with Accessible Operating Cords require warning labels and warning tags.
- Operational Warning Tags: An operational warning tag on the product with specific warning information based on the characteristics of the product or the safety devices including a pictogram that represents the hazard.
- Labels for Merchandising for Custom Corded Products: A warning label is to be placed on product merchandising materials which includes, but is not limited to, the sample book and the website.
- Manufacturer Label: Label on the roller tube which allows easy reference by the user or inspecting agency. Required information includes:
- Name, city, and state of the manufacturer or importer of record or fabricator
- Month and year of manufacture
- The designation of the window coverings as “Custom” or “Stock”
- Customer order information