Insolroll Quiet & Ultra Quiet Motorized Shade Systems
Quiet and even virtually silent motorized shade operation for quiet areas, convenience, and lifestyle.
- How Quiet is Quiet?
- Insolroll Quiet Motor Technology
- Insolroll Ultra Quiet Shade Motor Technology
- Ultra Quiet Shade Hardware
- Sound and Lifestyle
Quiet Motorized Shade Technology
Solutions for every application, including existing or new construction.
Today’s quiet shade motors are significantly quieter than shade motors of the past. You used to have to trade convenience for noise, but increases in technology have made Insolroll Quiet motorized shades extremely quiet, and Ultra Quiet Shades virtually silent. But how quiet are they really? Making a simple comparison helps put it in perspective.
How quiet is quiet?
- 38 dB: the sound level of gentle raindrops
- 44 dB: the sound level of a humming refrigerator
- 47 dB: the sound level of a quiet office
- 49 dB: the sound level of moderate rain
Quiet Motorized Shade Technology
Available models with superior torque of up to 6 Nm allows quiet motors to be installed for almost any application on the market. Also available on coupled shades.
Insolroll Quiet Motors (IQM) are standard in hardwired Insolroll motorized Shades. IQM series motors operate in the range of ≤44dBA to ≤49dBA, which is approximately equivalent to a noise level between the hum of a refrigerator and the sound level of moderate rainfall.
Insolroll Quiet Shade Motors
Quiet Radio Motors
- BAT-L2-R: Somfy 2.0 NM Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Radio Motor
Quiet Battery Motors
- BAT-L2-R: Somfy Radio Motor with embedded Li-ion rechargeable battery, Minimum width 25 ¾”
- BAT-L2-R: Somfy Radio Motor with embedded Li-ion rechargeable battery, Minim um width 24 ⅛”
- BAT-X1-R: Somfy Radio Motor with external Lithium battery pack, Minimum width 16 ½”
Insolroll Ultra Quiet Shade Motors
For applications demanding motorized window shades that operate in virtual silence, Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motors incorporate the latest in noise reduction technology. Perfect for bedrooms, conference rooms, office, and hotels.
- Patented helical gearbox for uniform sound quality in both up and down directions
- Improved spring brake to eliminate the noise of shade stopping
- Steel tube housing lowers the motor’s vibration level
- Shock-absorbing elastomer suspensions isolate the motor from the external tube reduce vibration transmission.
Ultra Quiet Four-wire Directional Motors
- IUQ-AC: Somfy 110V AC with Wired Switching/Control, Minimum width 36 ⅜”
Ultra Quiet Radio Motors
- IUQ-ACR: Somfy 110V AC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 37 ¼”
- IUQ-DCR: Somfy 24V DC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 34 ¾”
Ultra Quiet Intelligent Motors
- IUQ-485 AC: Somfy 110V AC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 34 ¾”
- IUQ-485 DC: Somfy 24V DC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 34 ¾”
Insolroll Ultra Quiet Shade Motors
and virtually eliminate motor and mechanical noise. At or below 38 dBA, or just below the sound level of a raindrop or an empty room, Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motorized shades are packed with innovations and patented technologies to make them ultra powerful and ultra quiet.
Four-wire Directional Motors
- IQM-AC: Somfy 110V AC with Wired Switching/Control, Minimum width 29 ¼”
- IQM-AC2: Somfy 110V AC with Wired Switching/Control, Minimum width 22 1/4″
- IQM-ACR: Somfy 110V AC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 31 ⅛”
- IQM-ACR2: Somfy 110V AC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 23 ⅞”
- IQM-DCR: Somfy 24V DC Radio Control Motor, Minimum width 18 ⅜”
- IQM-485 AC: Somfy 110V AC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 31 ⅛”
- IQM-485 DC: Somfy 24V DC Digital Motor with 2-way feedback/Digital Control, Minimum width 18 ⅜”
Insolroll Quiet Li-ion Battery Motors
- BAT-L3-R: Somfy Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery Motor
Insolroll’s Ultra Quiet Shade Hardware
Motorized Shade Brackets
Exposed Roller Bracket
For exposed roller shades, decorative brackets for motor and idler sides of shades with matching bracket covers. Available in Black, White, and Silver/Grey.
For motorized shades with fascia system covering the roller. Available in White, Black, Bronze, Vanilla, and Grey.
Adjustable Shade Coupler Assembly
For joining multiple shades using a single motor.
Ultra Quiet Idler Keeps Shades Quiet
Insolroll’s Ultra Quiet Idler further reduces mechanical noise, and produces a virtually silent motorized shade when used with Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motors.
- Smooth bearings
- Twist to adjust
Using a decibel meter, it’s easy to see that operating an Insolroll Ultra Quiet Motorized Shade combined with the Ultra Quiet Idler adds nothing to the reading obtained measuring the ambient noise of the room.
Sound in everyday life
Loudness isn’t the same as sound intensity. According the CDC, “How loud something sounds to you is not the same as the actual intensity of that sound. Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy in a confined space.”*
When we think of loudness, we really mean the way that we perceive audible sounds, which is different than what the decibel scale measures. Generally speaking, a sound must be multiplied ten times in order to be perceived as twice as loud. A simple example: it would take 10 trumpets playing together to make a sound just twice as loud as a single trumpet.
Sound intensity is measured in decibels (dB). Because the decibel scale is logarithmic, it can be difficult to appreciate the real difference between one sound intensity and another. The reason the scale is logarithmic is that sound intensity grows very fast. A sound that measures 20 dB is actually 10 times more intense than another sound measuring at 10 dB. The intensity of a sound measuring 30dB is actually 100 times more intense than a 10 dB sound.
An easy way to understand shade motor sound levels
As humans, we understand things best by making comparisons, and this is true of sound levels. Comparing the sound level of a shade motor operating to a sound we are familiar with is the easiest way to understand the sound level of that motor.
- 0 dB: the softest sound that can be heard
- 10 dB: the sound of normal breathing
- 20 dB: the sound of leaves rustling
- 30 dB: the sound of a soft whisper
- 38 dB: Insolroll IUQ ultra quiet motors, quiet raindrops
- 40 dB: quiet library
- 44–47 dB: Range of Insolroll IQ quiet motors, quiet office
- 50 dB: Insolroll Driven by Lutron™ patio shade motors; Moderate rainfall
- 60 dB: Normal conversation
- 70 dB: Vacuums
- 80 dB: Garbage disposal, blender
- 90 dB: Power mower, motorcycle at 25 feet
- 100 dB: Jackhammer, jet flyover at 1000 feet
- 120 dB: Chainsaw, thunderclap