Selecting the Right Fabric for Every Application
Account for room function, sun exposure, view requirement, fabric color…
Visual Performance Category
- Blocks all light
- Provides daytime and nighttime privacy
- Available in variety of colors and textures
- Allows light flow into the space- no view out
- Provides daytime and nightime privacy (shadows may be seen at night)
- Available in variety of colors and textures; amount of light flow varies by fabric and color
Solar Screen Fabric
- Maintains view and open feeling to the outside, while reducing heat and glare
- Provides daytime privacy only
- Woven to very specific standards to meet performance demand
Color makes a big difference in view through characteristics!
- Light colored fabrics provide more heat reduction and diffuse interior light
- Dark colored fabrics provide more glare reduction and better view-through
Percentage of fabric openness determines the amount of glare protection
- Polyester or fiberglass yards with a vinyl coating are woven to precise standards
- Range of densities from 1% to 14%
- Determines degree of UV protection and glare protection
- Determines the clarity of view
Note: For excellent glare protection on large windows, we generally recommend a 3-5% density dark colored or high performance fabric
High Performance Energy-Efficient Fabrics
Solar screen fabrics engineered to achieve the highest energy performance, reduce glare and save energy regardless of the fabric color.
- Highly reflective,fine layer of aluminum vacuum-formed to a PVC-coated fiberglass solar screen fabric (5% +/- openness)
- Visible Light Transmission <6% All Colors
- Shading Coefficient approximately .15- All Colors
EScreen with KOOLBLACK® Technology
- High tech fabric coating that increases the reflection of the near-infrared solar radiation that we feel as heat
- Dark color on fabric front and back for uniform exterior appearance
- Colors to match Insolroll’s Equinox Solar Screen Fabric
- Use combination of Equinox and Screen with KOOLBLACK Technology on a single job to get the best heat results and the best value
- Equinox for Northern, Southern, and Eastern Exposures
- EScreen with KOOLBLACK for western exposures
- EScreen with KOOLBLACK for windows facing heat-reflective surfaces such as rocks, gravel, or concrete
Thermal & Optical Factors Determine Performance
Part of the information collectively known as “fenestration data”
- Visible Light Transmission (VLT)- The percentage of the visible light allowed to pass through the solar screen shade and window combined. VLT is impacted by the fabric’s density, color, and the amount of light that transmits through the fabric fibers. A low figure (<10) indicates effective glare reduction.
- Shading Coefficient (SC)- The effectiveness of the fabric at filtering the heat from solar radiation- a low figure means high protection from heat flow.
Solar screen fabrics have been tested in a laboratory to precisely measure their VLT and SC, as well as additional fenestration properties.